Monday, June 20, 2011

Becoming a vet!

Dear Grandpa,

I've been trying to find my future job for so long, when all I really needed to do was look in my kitchen and become a child again. Sitting down on the hard granite floor and getting tackled by a massive black brute and a fuzzy little white blur reminds me of why I love animals (especially dogs) so much. They really do have a sixth sense and know when to nudge their wet nose in the palm of your trembling hand, or literally tackle you with love when you need a hug. Like I've told you before, animals devote their lives to you and are the only beings on this planet that will love you more than they love themselves. 

Because of that, I want to try and become a vet again. It is the only job I've dreamed to do since I was little and the one I chose not to do because of one word... science. Science is struggling and scary and definitely doesn't come easy to me. Unlike writing a ten page essay or giving a twenty minute speech, science is the one subject that I avoided in college because of the trouble it gave me in high school. However, I feel like I owe it to myself and my dogs to put in every effort to becoming who I really want to be. I didn't think I would be able to ever become a vet without loving science, but maybe I haven't really been exposed to the right teachers or just didn't push myself hard enough. I know now that I can do whatever I set my mind to because, after this semester, I proved that I can start fresh in a new school, mid semester, and make dean's list! 

I know that this won't be easy because I have so much work to catch up on. Not only do I have to take all of these intense bio courses, but I also have to accumulate 400 hours of volunteer work at vet hospitals. There are only 28 vet schools in the country and only 5 of them are within my kind of driving distance. Summer courses are definitely a must and I can't slack off during the school year, but I'm going to do my all. I have the patience and the passion to go into this career and I want to become the vet that I wanted to be forever. 

I will work at the science with tutors and get extra help and tackle any hurdle that is thrown at me because the unrequited love I get in return from the animals is worth it. To my dogs, I am their world. It's time to make them mine.

Love always,
Your granddaughter

1 comment:

  1. My father was a vet. He still talks about it, how he loved the job. It's hard work en lots of studying, but if you really want it, it'll work out for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

.