Monday, February 7, 2011

Jealous! Jealous! Jealous!

Dear Grandpa,

Mommy and Daddy scheduled a short vacation to visit Grandma. They say it's a combination present for Daddy's birthday and Valentine's Day, but I'm pretty sure it's because Grandma is lonely. It has been a few weeks since Aunt Emma left her alone to come back to New York and I think she underestimated how weird it would feel.

I've called her as much as I could, but, you know, she never picks up the damn phone! Worse, you managed to record over the message that she used to have and now it sounds like someone picked up the phone and is waiting for something magical to happen. That someone was definitely you. Now, Grandma probably has a bagillion messages of people yelling into the receiver, "Hello? Hello? Is anyone there?" Even worse, she has no idea how to rerecord a message.

Anyway, I'm super jealous. I wish I could be picking bananas from her trees in shorts and a tank top, but I'm left here with sweats, a jacket, gloves, and the freezing cold weather. I would trade 100 (okay, more like 3) mosquito bites just to be there with Grandma. I miss the sound of coquis at night and the smell of her spices in the linens. I miss the oceans where I could see straight down to the scars on my feet. I miss (dare I say it) Pin. I miss La Verde Luz. I miss the cool nights and sweaty mornings. I miss running down the hills after coconuts. I miss the chickens. I miss being squished in the back seat next to the two infamous loud and obnoxious sisters. I miss her. I miss you.

Love always,
Your granddaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment

.